Sausage Soup with Kluski Noodles
To make Mrs. Miller's homemade Italian Sausage Soup with Kluski Noodles:
- Brown in a 5-quart Dutch oven. Remove the sausage casings, slice, and set aside. Reserve 2 Tbsp. of fat.
- 1 lb. Sweet Italian Sausage links
- Sauté in reserved fat.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. sausage fat
- Combine all ingredients with sautéed onions and browned sausage. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Add and boil for 15 more minutes.
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup red wine
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and diced*
- 1½ cup carrots, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- Add and boil for 10 more minutes
- 1 ½ cups zucchini, sliced
*Note: To peel tomatoes, cut an "X" into each tomato and drop it in to boiling liquid for a few minutes. The peeling will slide off. 1 can of diced tomatoes may be substituted for fresh tomatoes.
Find this recipe, along with many of Mrs. Miller’s other homemade favorites, in Mrs. Miller's cookbook of homemade favorites.